The SUBBYs – What a Night! – It was the largest attendance in SUBBY’s 54 year history and it was a night to remember. Recognizing the companies and individuals who strive to be the BEST was the purpose of the night, but making all aware of what being the BEST means was equally important. All the nominees were winners, but the ones who took home the iconic trophy were:
NATIONAL GENERAL CONTRACTOR OF THE YEAR - HITT Contracting Inc.
OUTSTANDING GENERAL CONTRACTOR
PRE-CONSTRUCTION SERVICES - Balfour Beatty Construction
OUTSTANDING GENERAL BUILDING CONTRACTOR RENOVATION, RESTORATION, MODERNIZATION - Davis Construction
PROJECT MANAGER OF THE YEAR - Kim Kessler, Grunley Construction Company
SUBCONTRACTOR SAFETY AWARD - Scaffold Resource
Developer/Owner Award - JBG Smith
REGIONAL GENERAL CONTRACTOR OF THE YEAR - Henley Construction Co. Inc.
OUTSTANDING GENERAL CONTRACTOR DESIGN BUILD - Clark Construction Group
GENERAL CONTRACTOR SAFETY PROGRAM - Balfour Beatty Construction
SUPERINTENDENT OF THE YEAR - John Hines, Whiting-Turner Contracting Co.
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARD - Mike Donohoe, Siemens Industry, Inc.
SUBCONTRACTOR OF THE YEAR - Goldin & Stafford
Great Team Award - INOVA/Fairfax Hospital / L2 Contracting
Click here for pictures from the 2018 SUBBYs – TEAM: Building Together.
A Safe Workplace in DC Can Save $$ - Click here to learn how you can save 5 percent on your Workers Compensation premiums paid in the District. If yours is an active safety committee that includes employees, then you might want to look into this.
ASA’s SubExcel – ASAMW members are attending the ASA Convention in Tempe Arizona this week. We are learning that all areas are busy and looking for workers. Patty Peterson, Rebecca Price, Jitu Patel, Mary Whitlow, Cindy Athey shared their opinions on this as well as when to walk away from a project, lean transformations, contract strategies, production metrics and other vital issues.
Golf is in the Air – April 20th is right around the corner and ASA Golf is better than ever. We return to the ever popular Whiskey Creek for another great event. Click here to sponsor and register. Your sponsorship support is how we keep going. Please consider a sponsorship.
- District – Any member whose company is located within the District is welcome to join us for a Lobby Day to discuss issues with DC construction. Just reply to this email.
- Maryland – With the legislative session half way over ACE our lobbying partner is working the following:
- Virginia – No more bills will be introduced in this legislative session. ACE’s bill on construction payments in trust will be considered in 2019.
We are extremely pleased to welcome two new members this week
- Williams Scotsman out of Baltimore is where you go to get your temporary location needs met. Look for Steve Feather and his team at upcoming events. Look to this new member for mobile offices, modular buildings and storage containers.
- ISEC, Inc. out of Fulton, MD is a national company doing architectural woodwork. We met Joni Rhea at the Joint Event with NAWIC and how we are proud to have her, Scott Simmons and the rest of ISEC, Inc on our team.