ASA Initiates Student Chapter at Montgomery College – Student Chapter Champion Bernardo Ahlborn along with Martin Press will introduce students who are part of Montgomery College’s Student Constructors Association to opportunities with members of ASA. Watch for more on our attempts to bring area students into the subcontracting industry. Click here for a 2 minute video about the program at Montgomery College.
Let’s Support The Suicide Prevention Construction Industry Summit - Awareness and prevention of suicide is relevant to everyone reading this. Suicides in the construction industry are all too common. Attend this summit and see what you can do. Click here to register. CFMA and the areas GCs bring this to you for free.
PM Workshop open to first 25 to register – Click here for more information. This popular workshop will be held in Vienna, VA. Up and coming project managers will get the boost they need to run your projects effectively and profitably. Last year there were more registrants than there were openings, so be sure to register early.
Women Need Men – What? Why are you saying such a sexist thing? A panel of highly regarded industry practitioners will address cutting-edge issues about women in construction. All we hear about today is the labor shortage. However women make up only ten percent of the workforce, compared to 46 percent in other industries. Let’s come together – men and women – to address the issues head-on. Can you handle it? Register here.
How do You Address OCIPs and CCIPS? Jonathan Mitz with Ennis Electric provided keen insight into protecting your company on jobs that include OCIPs and CCIPs. Thirty of our members and guests were in attendance for this valuable exchange. Watch for more of this type of event in the future. It is well worth your time.
SUBBY Nominations – Click here to begin your nomination. In these busy times it is important to recognize the GCs, Project Managers, Superintendents and others who are exceptional team members and leaders in our industry. Don’t miss this unique opportunity to recognize the best. Awards will be presented at the 54th Annual SUBBY Awards on Feb. 24th.
Need Workers in DC? In the last eNewsletter we listed an incorrect email address. Project Empowerment promises to get the workers you need. Michael Skinner is the Account Executive who specializes in construction. If you have an opening, he will obtain individuals for you to interview and provide assistance with supporting their employment. He is at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 202/698-5760. Here is a site that explains the program.
ASAMW Champions - ASAMW is working for you! View the list of activities we are working on for our Subcontractor community. Contact our representatives if you'd like to learn more, or if you'd like to help out with the planning of any of these activities!
The ACE Coalition is an important vehicle for supporting the advocacy efforts of all the areas subcontractors, specialty contractors, sub-subcontractors and suppliers.
- District – ACE and ASA testified in favor of bills that member, Calvin Reid with Atlas Manufacturing (see accompanying article about Calvin) was instrumental in getting introduced by Councilman Kenyan McDuffie. It was evident in the questioning after our testimony that Councilman McDuffie and Councilman Robert White are serious about addressing slow payments on DC projects. All members who reside or work in the District need to contact their council person to support these three bills:
- B22-395 – Accessible and Transparent Procurement
- B22-439 – Quick Payment
- B22-440 – Subcontractor Dispute Resolution.
- Maryland – The Legislative Session will open on January 10th. If you have any concerns that you wish to be addressed with legislation, please email email@example.com.
- Virginia – The Virginia Wage Theft Taskforce which was formed in 2015, is proposing to revise Virginia Laws to address worker misclassification and non-payment of payroll taxes.
- Congratulations to Calvin Reid- Calvin Reid with Atlas Manufacturing was honored as one of the Top 100 Minority Business Enterprises by the Capital Region Minority Supplier Development Council’s (CRMSDC). He was recognized at its 36th Annual Leaders and Legends Awards Ceremony last night.
- Welcome to Our New Member, Equus Striping. Let’s help this new member in DC gain access to the knowledge we have acquired to become a successful subcontractor. Look for Megan and Dan Bailiff; and Marcellus Shelton at a future event.