Let’s Start Improving Job Sites on Oct. 17th (Members Only) The key to a productive team is a positive atmosphere of cooperation. We are going to start achieving this positive atmosphere on Oct. 17th at ASAMW’s Membership Meeting. The area’s ten major General Contractors who are part of ASA Industry Education Support Group have committed to having their project managers at a one-of-a-kind, team building exercise. ASA members should be there and bring two or three of their project managers to practice building an effective team. Seize this rare opportunity to learn how to build effective teams on any job site. Dr. Jerry Teplitz will lead a three hour session on INCREASING YOUR LEADERSHIP POWER WHILE MANAGING THE STRESS OF CHANGE. Click here for more information.
SUBBY Nominations are Open – Every member reading this needs to submit a nomination for this year’s SUBBYs. Click here to begin your nomination. In these busy times it is important to recognize the GCs, Project Managers, Superintendents and others who are exceptional team members and leaders in our industry. To continue with President Rebecca Price’s theme of Our TEAM, Learn and Build, a GREAT TEAM award will be given for the project where a high performing team produced extraordinary results. Awards will be presented at the 54th Annual SUBBY Awards on Feb. 24th.
Women Show How to Build Effective Teams – Twenty General Contractors were hosted by more than sixty subcontractors and others at the Women Who Build event in Bethesda last week. The panel described how they met the challenges of completing a project within budget and on time in a historically sensitive area in DC.
Pay for Parking Results - Paying for parking in DC is becoming more challenging for members. A survey completed last week, showed that out of 16 companies reporting, two never pay for parking. Some qualify their response, such as: include cost in bid, started 2 years ago, car pool with company paying for parking, company vans with drivers, service techs and foremen and not on prevailing wage jobs. If you would like a copy of the written responses, without company names, reply to this email.
Golf Report – There were close to 140 winners at the ASA of Metro Washington Golf Tournament. Thanks to all the Sponsors and players that make this event possible. It was a close match. The top three teams tied for low score of 59, but the results after a scorecard playoff were:
- First Place – the Lanigan, Ryan, Malcolm and Doyle, PC team of Brian Pollack, Ryan Barnoski, Matt Pallo and Andrew Stratford
- Second Place – the HESS Construction team of Mike Hess, George Kruetz, Johnathan Lang and Reed Vanorsdel
- Third Place – the Dominion Mechanical team of Mark Gobbi, Jason Marcum, Jimmy McDonnell, Tom Fogleman
The ACE Coalition is an important vehicle for supporting the advocacy efforts of all the areas subcontractors, specialty contractors, sub-subcontractors and suppliers.
- District – Construction will not be permitted on Columbus Day, October 9, 2017. On this day, all construction work, for which a permit is required, is illegal and could result in a Stop Work Order and may be subject to fines. For more information, visit dcra.dc.gov/service/report-illegal-construction.
- Maryland – No report
- Virginia – No report
- Councilor, Buchanan & Mitchell, P.C. (CBM), a member of ASA and its Professional Council is a full-service accounting and advisory firm based in Bethesda, MD. CBM will merge in the tax and financial consulting expertise of May & Barnhard, P.C., effective November 1. The expansion will create a team of 82 team members including 10 partners.
- Thanks for helping ASA of Metro Washington grow. You can do your part. Just ask another contractor if they would allow Ike Casey to visit them to discuss the value. Click here to add a potential member and we will take it from there.